So you want to be a Private Island Caretaker
Saturday, July 7th, 2007
It’s quite common for island owners to hire caretakers to look after their island when the owners are not there. These individuals (usually one but sometimes more), have one of the most interesting but lonely jobs on the planet. At first glance it may seem like the ideal job, but an island caretaker needs to have many skills and abilities to make it on an island. Click to read more after the link
Here is a list of some (but not all) of the qualifications you would need to be a private island caretaker.
General carpentry and construction
- Basic plumbing
- Basic mechanical skills
- Excellent problem solving skills
- Excellent time management skills
- Ability to work well independently.
- Ability to make do with limited resources.
- Having a hobby is beneficial given the large amount of free time.
- Gardening skills.
- Enjoy working outdoors.
- Willing to work flexible hours.
- Willing to live on a small stipend
- First aid skills and good health.
- Also note that most will require a criminal background check.
This is just a list of general skills that are needed to be an island caretaker. Each island is unique and therefore will require any variety of tasks to be completed for upkeep. If you want more information on care taking check out this website, it’s not island specific but it has some good opportunities and tips for those interested in becoming a caretaker. I hope by creating this list I haven’t discouraged anyone pursing this career. Rather it is my hope that I have informed those interested so that they can better prepare themselves to be an island caretaker.